Sometimes, you want to make cupcakes. Maybe not the healthiest treat, but definitely a birthday necessity and I had a friend with a birthday!
I used a recipe from the Fixate cookbook (which I’m offering with any bundled pack this month…some which already have add ons and an extra discount!) which was for a cake. But the secret about cupcakes? You may guess it…instant portion control!
Have you done this? You take a piece of cake. Reasonable serving size…nothing crazy. But then you want a little more of a taste. So you trim a sliver off the cake. Then some more. And some more.
And then you ate 3 pieces.
Cupcakes are perfect for this! So I divvied the batter up and cooked for a little less.
I thought they were delicious, but the texture was a bit gritty…totally my fault because I don’t know where our mixer is! I did the cake batter by hand and the frosting in a food processor! Next time I make it, I’ll use the right tools.
Fixate Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
Serves 12 Prep Time 20 min. Cooking Time 30 min.
Nonstick cooking spray or cupcake liners
1 cup almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
2 tsp. baking powder, gluten-free
¼ tsp. sea salt
¾ cup unsalted organic grass-fed butter, divided use
1 cup raw honey (or maple syrup), divided use
4 large eggs
1/3 cup + 3 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk, divided use
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Prepare cupcake tin with liners or spray.
3) Combine both flours, baking powder and salt and set aside.
4) Cream together ½ cup butter and ¾ cup honey in a medium bowl and beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
5) Add eggs one at a time and beat until blended.
6) Add ¼ cup almond milk and vanilla extract and beat until blended.
7) Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until creamy.
8) Pour batter into prepared pan.
9) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan.
10) Whip remaining ¼ cup butter in a medium bowl; beat on medium speed 1-2 minutes or until creamy.
11) Add remaining 3 Tbsp. almond milk and beat until well-blended.
12) Add cocoa powder and blend thoroughly; scraping bowl occasionally.
13) Slowly add remaining ¼ cup honey while beating on medium speed. Set aside.
14) Frost cupcakes once cool. Enjoy!
my friend’s son thought they should be pink!
If you’re counting containers, this is 2 yellows, a blue and a spoon.