10K Recap

It’s done!  That’s all I’ve got.

I kid 🙂  I’ll tell you all about it.

Sunday was a great day for a run.  Overcast, a little windier than you might like, but a decent temperature (well, after the run I was freezing with the wind, but running was good).  So I woke up, did what I needed to do, and took off for the park.  But then I realized I forgot my bib!  So back home to get it I went.  Luckily, I’m only a few minutes from the race!  But that made me late for our meeting time, so when I parked, I started run number 1 of the day.  Off to find the LLS tent.  Only it wasn’t where I was told it would be.  I found a few others in purple and we found it together…with a call to another on the team!

My shirt-front.  I didn't take any of the back.

My shirt-front. I didn’t take any of the back.

We met up for some motivation with the other Team in Training groups and head out to the start line.  The start for this race is pretty far from any parking for the race.  We clocked it from where my husband parked (he ran the marathon) at over a mile.  Big activity day with all the racing and walking!

Pre-Race...Ready to go!

Pre-Race…Ready to go!

And then we were off!  The first mile went pretty fast, though it was our slowest run mile.  With so many people starting at once, it’s tough to make any speed at the beginning.  That’s fine though, better than giving it all in the beginning.  I could feel some pain in my leg, but it wasn’t terrible.  I just kept going.  It was good to have people with me.  I may have stopped to walk without them, and though that is fine, my goal was to run the whole thing for this one.  And I did.  Even kicked it up at the end!  I felt good cardio wise, but my leg wasn’t happy.

Post-Race with the bag of food they gave us all

Post-Race with the bag of food they gave us all

We made it back to the tent to check in and meet up with the baby and then went to cheer on some of our other runners and walkers.  It was so much fun to cheer loud for the others on our team, even those who trained in the other groups.  I eventually walked back to the car to get my change of clothes and get into something warmer.  The wind really made it feel cold!  Someone was tired from all her non-racing and took a nap for this.

Someone was sleepy!

Someone was sleepy!

We still had a while before my husband would be finishing the marathon so we had snacks and cheered on the other runners.  Lots of fun, though the horses were a distraction.  I guess horses are more fun than people you don’t know running.  We played a bit, watched a bit, and seemed to eat a lot!  At this point, my leg was hurting badly.  I hadn’t sat down in over 5 hours, over an hour of that running.  I meant to bring an ice pack, but it wouldn’t have mattered…can’t sit still with my little explorer!

Once my husband finished his race (great job hon!!) we headed to the car and went home.  I got some ice after a shower, but it was stolen.

A shirt for all!

A shirt for all!

It felt pretty bad, but a lot better yesterday morning.  I still have some pain, but it doesn’t feel like it’s going to snap anymore.  I plan to still do some running, but this was likely my first and last 10K.  I’m so glad that I did it with Moms in Training…great cause, great group.  I’m not sure I would have made it otherwise!

One thought on “10K Recap

  1. Pingback: Time to Play the Games! | Allison Getting Fit

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s